Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ethical Eating




vs.




So far, most of my posts have been recipes, and that is the main purpose of this blog; however, I did say that it is also about exploring ethical food consumption, seasonal eating, organic food, etc. Today, a friend challenged me to think about eating in a way that is healthful not just for me, but also for the Earth and for those who do not have access to knowledge or resources that are sometimes associated with organic food which can become a fad of wealthy people simply because it is good for them personally.

I have posted several recipes that have "processed health foods" in them (for example, organic Root Beer). I do this only because sometimes people need time savers and transitional foods that help them move away from processed foods toward what Michael Pollan would call "real food" in Omnivore's Dilemma.

My real intention is move mainly (but not completely) toward food that truly is unprocessed because I believe that it will save me money while at the same time having a positive impact on the planet, people's health, the cost of health care, and the availability of such real food to more than just the wealthy. I am reminded of an article written by another friend and whole foods nutritionist, Michael Fisher, called "Eating Healthily Doesn't Have to Be Expensive". In this article, he makes the point that what makes health food expensive is partly the quality of the food, yes, but more often, it is the processing and marketing. In his books, organic toaster pastries that cost double the price are still sugary and bad for us. He makes some very good points about real foods such as beans, barley and rice that are both very affordable and nutritious. I am trying to keep these things in mind on my journey toward healthful cooking so that my eating grows increasingly ethical environmentally and socially, affordable, and good for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment