Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ginger Pear Crisp





I served this dish to 4 friends last night, and although one teased me about reducing the maple syrup, most took some home (including the one who teased me) and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I like it a lot - I had it for breakfast before I went cycling this morning and it seemed to sit really well.

Adapted from Clean Food by Terry Walters.

Filling
8 large pears, sliced, peel left on
1 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder

Topping
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole spelt or barley flour
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. almond extract

Place pears in a large casserole dish. In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the filling ingredients, and whisk until arrowroot is dissolved. Pour mixture over pears evenly.

Combine the dry topping ingredients and then add the syrup, oil and almond extract and stir until combined. Sprinkle topping over filling and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment