Friday, November 20, 2009

Marinated Bitter Greens






Walters' fall marinade is not the usual salad dressing I think of or crave, and yet, I found it appealing. It has an Asian flare due to the toasted sesame oil, so I bet it would taste great with oranges and toasted almonds too.

The recipe calls for a raw shallot, and one I purchased was quite large. I added the whole thing, and couldn't stomach the dressing because of all the raw onion, so I had to cook it. Next time, I would leave out the shallot, cook it, only use a little bit, or maybe soak it in water ahead of time.

Dark leafy greens have so many health benefits, and if you let them sit in Walters' marinade for 10 minutes, the acidity of the apple cider vinegar allows the greens wilt, making them taste less bitter and easier to digest.

4 cups fall salad greens, such as watercress, endive, radicchio or romaine
Marinade:
1 shallot (optional - cooked, raw, soaked or prepared to suit your taste)
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
4 tsp. of maple syrup, honey, agave or other natural sweetener
2 tsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. soya or tamari sauce
3 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash, dry and cut greens. Whisk or blend the marinade ingredients together and pour it over the greens. Toss and let the salad sit for 10 minutes. Toss again and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment